Symptoms of video game addiction in adolescents
The addiction to video games is an evil that is spreading among young people in a very worrying way. There are so many cases that the mental diagnosis manual (DSM-V) used worldwide by psychologists and psychiatrists, decided to catalog in 2013 the “Internet addiction or video game disorder.”
Most common ages of video game addiction
The most common profile is that of male adolescents aged 12 to 20 years.
The symptoms of addiction to video games in adolescents include:
The repeated use of Internet-based games or video games, often with other players, leading to significant problems with generally of the young person.
Five Of The Following Criteria Must Be Given Over A Year:
1. Preoccupation or obsession with games. The teenager shows great concern with the game or the computer when he is away from them. He might seem distracted, irritable, or disinterested and talk about the game almost always.
video game addiction symptoms
2. Withdrawal symptoms when you are not playing.Mood changes, reluctance to do other things, aggression, sadness, defensive attitude.
3. A gradual increase in the time you spend playing. Each time he needs more time to satisfy the need to play.
4. The person has tried to reduce the time spent playing but has not succeeded.
5. The person has lost interest in other areas of his life, such as his hobbies or friends.
6. The person has had a constant abuse of the games or the Internet, even knowing the consequences that could bring.
7. The person lies to others about their use with games or the Internet.
8. The person spends his time on video games or the Internet to calm their anxiety or guilt. As a way to escape from reality.
9. The person has lost relationships or has put them at risk for video games or the Internet.
The upheaval by addiction to the video Juegos or Internet is not an official addiction today of today, but the experts do not discard to include it in next editions of the DSM. Doing so will help the experts to establish guidelines, treatments, and indications to help solve this problem more and more frequently.
The new technologies bring many good things, but as in everything, the use we make of them sets the trend. As a parent, we must educate our children to make responsible and healthy use of the devices. Otherwise, we can have problems as serious as this.